Sunday, November 22, 2015

“What is never started will never get finished” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

People think that there is only one life between the day they are born and the time when the elements consume their mortal body. It isn’t so. There are several lives one must live before one finally closes a chapter. I personally do not think there is anything called death but then I will never know. Let’s just say that I think that death doesn’t end anything. It is just the conclusion of a chapter or the culmination of an act of a play. A person goes through several lives before he faces that termination, we call death.

Who was I before I was born here? Did you follow me though the channels of life and birth before finally abandoning me here? The tales of my heart – did I spin them here now or did I always carry them with me? Why were you born as you and not me? What do you feel inside your body? Do you see the colors the same way as I do? Do you feel the same pain and battle the same pangs of hunger and crave for the same pleasures? Who is the One I pray to? Is your God any different than mine?

I look at my child and I feel hope for my salvation. Was my child always a part of me or is she a part of me at all? I have always been fascinated by the hollow vastness of the space. The infinite abyss  and its mysterious abundance humbles me. Do you also feel this pull when you look at the stars? Do you also feel that we are not entirely alone? What if we are just limited by our senses and there are actually Gods amongst us?

Where will I be when I am not here anymore? Does any of this stuff actually matter? The concept of a family, parents, children, strings of the heart and people who you harm and hurt during the course of this life – is there actually any truth in it? Why was I born on this planet? What is the purpose of this life? Why should I be affected by what this body suffers?

The things that I do for money, I call that my work. It consumes one third of my life, perhaps more, is it actually any work at all or mere distraction? The person who first invented the concept of money – was he even human or someone who was trying to prevent us from asking these questions? What is religion after all and what makes someone walk into a busy public gathering and throw a bomb in the name of God?

I picked a dream and mixed it with some play dough. I filtered some tears and tore an old page from a diary that belongs to another life and I realized I have been missing the whole point all these years. My life and the days that I consume, the sunsets that I witnessed and the sunrises that I missed were just checkpoints in a continuum. I will never see either end of it. Maybe I existed all along, maybe I was never there. Whatever be the case, I end a life tonight and will begin another tomorrow morning.

The life before was a prelude, what follows is the celebration. The open cask welcomes all without a prejudice. Touch my hand before it gets cold and falls off. I am way too tired to rise now but I see you from beneath my closed eyelids. Do not waste your tears here. Use them to wash off the grime on your soul. I abandon my worth here in this dust only to come back afresh some other day.

My child, I may not get a chance to have a word with you in person but I bequeath you all that I gathered over the years when I was around you, holding you and protecting you. How you filter the valuable from the waste will be the story of your life. Do not judge me by what you discover. I will carry that load on my head when I leave. You don’t have to celebrate who I was or mourn who you lost. A part of me will continue my journey in you.

Who I died as was my life before – I will live my next in you, till the day you forsake this and begin another.

Death


5 comments :

The Cloudcutter said...

Your interpretation of the Goethe quote is interesting :)

Though I can't relate much to this post, it's a nice read nevertheless. I have a different view of life and death, and even that is fluid and keeps changing, but I can understand the eternal human quest for meaning and purpose. I suppose these are questions we all ask ourselves at some point, some of us more than others. That's the difference between those who live, just plough through without questioning, and those who step back and observe. I'm not sure which way is better. The one thing I do know for sure is that life can only truly be understood once you have lived it. It's like a continuous experiment that reveals its result only at the end... And then do you really know or is it only visible to the ones you leave behind? As of now, I still subscribe to the ashes to ashes, dust to dust point of view. I am not sure if I have a soul that will live on or if I have always been a soul occupying different vessels over the ages... Until I find out, I am just winging it I guess.

Sorry for the lengthy comment but then your posts are always so thought-provoking :)

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking... waiting for the next post...

How do we know said...

"I picked a dream and mixed it with some play dough. I filtered some tears and tore an old page from a diary that belongs to another life and I realized I have been missing the whole point all these years. My life and the days that I consume, the sunsets that I witnessed and the sunrises that I missed were just checkpoints in a continuum. I will never see either end of it. " - Amazing!

Himanshu Tandon said...

@ CC - I am glad I could lead you to think about it that deep.

@ HDWK - Glad you like it. It's always wonderful to hear from you.

@ Anonymous - No idea if you are from this life or before, would have been nice if you'd left a name. :)

Anonymous said...

I am— you
I am your past, present and also the future
I am timeless.
i have traces of me in you
I am the fog that surrounds you
And the worry that drowns you
In fact I am the love that binds you.

I am the smile on your lips
That lights up our being.
I am the twinkle in your eyes
That wells up at the thought of us...
I am the first ray of sunlight that strikes you
And the fading moonlight that guides you
I am the stars you hang in that new sky
And I happen to be your next day!

You and me are one!
I am the green light at the other side of the lake...
I am the one sitting next to you... Listening to your monologue
I am the one dying with you
And I'm the one sharing your silence with you.

I am the respite you look for in your journey
And I'm the vagabond you're holding on
Because I'm the one you are tethered to.
I am the one who exists in between your dreams, life and memories...
in fact I am the sand in the desert
I am your inamorata!!!


There is no exit door when it comes to me
Because I am the one sitting on the bench
With my head in your lap...
I am a part of you that will never cease to exist— as much you may try...
I will always remain within you..
You breathe me... you feel me... you see me even when I'm not there...
I fill your being because You Live Me!!!

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.