Saturday, December 31, 2011

Before I set on to write a summary of the year that went by, I read through a few posts on this blog again, primarily to take a note of the days that flew by and see how I fared over these last 12 months.

Comparing it against the accounts of the last 2 years that I had posted (‘As I Look Back’ – 2009 and ‘The 2010 diary’), this year turned out to be far more eventful than I had hoped it to be. I guess I have had my reasons to be grateful about it and so perhaps let me begin by thanking Almighty for all his graces bestowed this year. So thank you Lord for all your bounties this year. I am hoping that the coming year 2012 would be as wonderful, if not more, as the year which just flew by.

And now, for the year 2011 accounting….

BAND, BAAJA, BARAAT

baraat 3

This year began with a series of three important weddings in the family. With both my brother and brother-in-law and a very special cousin of my wife deciding to marry within the first few months of the year this was an year that started off with lots of shopping, sweetmeat binging and crazy travelling.

The weddings were a mix affair though since Riddhie was just too young to understand all this stuff and had her own challenges getting accustomed to the huge running about that a big fat Indian wedding involves. (Read ‘Band, Baaja, Baraat & Riddhie’ for the details).

HOME AWAY

USA FlagI travelled the same day when the last formal function of the third wedding was over and it was another month and a half before I could return to get the visas for Riddhie and Priyanka processed. And finally when it happened, we realized that a major part of this year would be spent overseas and New Jersey became a home away from home for the rest of the year.

This trip became significant from more than one perspective. The experience was enriching and I guess I would return more confident both on survival instincts as well as professional standing. I took to driving this year in the US (Check Learn and Unlearn) and there were numerous incidents good and bad that helped me see life in a different light, not to mention my faith in miracles restored a bit. This incidentally became Riddhie’s first trip overseas as well and though I am sure she would not remember any of her days spent here, she would have a lot of pictures to look back and enjoy from this year.

VENTURES, ADVENTURES & EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN

As I mentioned that duration of our stay here in US so far has been flanked by incidents good and bad with a dash of of adventures included. A few things come to the fore – A nice boardwalk ride (Sky Coaster), hurricane Irene, record breaking 14 inches of snow in October, trips to Washington, Riddhie learning to walk (and eventually climb and fall off the bed ‘The Midnight Surprise’), visiting multiple places and gardens and lakes, all our birthdays and lonesome Diwali, the Black Friday shopping frenzy and finally a nice not so cold Christmas to end the year….

All in all a wholesome year.

ABOUT THE WORLD

In the other news and things which I guess affected me as a member of a larger community, this year was eventful on other grounds as well. India won the Cricket World cup and went on to become the number 1 test team in the world (though as I key this in, they have already suffered a humiliating defeat in the boxing day test match at the hands of Australia while playing down under).

Whew_Full Anna Hazare became the next big international news from India for a while and it gave people a reason to wear Gandhi caps again. What else, Big B became the grandfather of Baby B. Sehwag scored 219 in ODIs, Osama Bin Laden and Gaddafi were finally killed in two different circumstances and Code Name Geronimo became a widely searched term on Google….whew…

THE FLIP SIDE

Perhaps what makes this year lose its sheen is passing away of so many legends. Sathya Sai Baba, Elizabeth Taylor, MF Hussain, Shammi Kapoor, Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, Bhupen Hazarika, Jagjit Singh, Dev Aanand, Dennis Ritchie and Steve Jobs. I always thought I would go for a live concert of Jagjit Singh and sadly it shall always be one thing I won’t be able to strike off from “my things to do before I die” list.

THE YEAR TO COME

Not counting the Mayan prophecy, I really hope 2012 brings in better hope and more smiles for everyone. There are no new year resolutions and no elaborate plans as such for the year ahead but in good faith I am hoping that it shall be as shining as the one bidding a goodbye.

So, here’s wishing everyone a Happy New Year 2012 and may you have the best of seasons, life and love all through next year and all times to come.

2 comments :

KAYARBEE said...

Thank you for giving that nice walk through your year round blog posts..could catch up some very interesting posts...look forward for another year of your great posts...HAPPY Blogging

Himanshu Tandon said...

Thanks a ton Bala Sir.

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.