Friday, August 14, 2009

I would like to begin this post by thanking one of my best friends for inspiring me to this unique title and provoking my thoughts to actually make this post.

It is Janmashtami eve today and I have come back from work minutes ago. As a routine the first thing I do is to get online and look up messages on mail and FaceBook. I was particularly incited by one of the comments posted by my pal Richa today. Now she is not claiming to be the modern day Meera professing her love for the divinity or something but as I see it, her comment came across as one of the best prayers I have seen in the recent times.

To quote her words, she wrote "Hey Krishna , Hey Gopala, aapke BirthDay pe karm kar rahe hai....aur phal ki chinta bilkul nahi kar rahe ...........Wish you a fabulous Birthday.......Love You..........."
Krishna-Gita1
As I mused over these simple lines, it appeared that she had summed up the entire philosophy of the deity in these two lines. Essentially speaking isn't worshipping Krishna Janmashtami all about celebrating 'karma' and love? I do not wish to sound too spiritual or religious but then when I actually sat down and thought about the significance of Krishna in our lives, it just concluded to these two things.

Now how often do we think about performing our duties and carrying out responsibilities as path to salvation and how often do we actually get the confidence to call out Lord as a friend? Isn't confessing 'God I love you' something pure and child-like innocent in its own right. I wonder when was I able to do that last or when it was last that I had a flowing conversation with my inner self or someone in heaven above. I am sure as children most of us were far more religious and God fearing than we are now.

Probably the 'Chalta hai' attitude has seeped down deep into our being. The value systems that we imbibe today are the contorted and twisted versions adopted as per our convenience and ease. A dip in the Ganges answers most of the questions that our conscience asks us, isn't it? A shopkeeper fleeces a thousand customers a day, a medical professional doles out unnecessary medicines to his patients for making those few extra bucks or a government official may extract millions from a welfare scheme; at the end of the day visiting a temple on a Tuesday or a mosque on a Friday assures them a quick fix solution and eases them of all their load.

The other occasion to seek divine intervention is the time of dire need. It is then that one is able to quickly recall all prayers from the closet of one's being. Be it some sickness, a calamity or a personal loss everyone wants to emulate Mr. Bachchan and claim "Maine Aaj tak tujhse kuch nahi maanga Bhagwaan..."

Anyway, I do not wish to trigger something that may infuriate radicals amongst us or hurt someone's belief system. Personally I am not very religious myself to believe in day to day 'Aarti, Keertan or a  Namaaz". It however did feel refreshing to read something like I love you Lord and I guess if there were more people who could consider themselves upright enough to hold such a conversation with their God, I am sure Earth would become a much better place to live in.

radha-krishna1On a personal front, I shall try and see if I can get to say the same myself in days to come.

For now, I would just conclude here with another word of thanks to the Riches girl, for leading my thoughts to something I wouldn't have otherwise been thinking about. To all others, I can just suggest, try saying 'Love you God' a couple of times and probably you shall also see the point I had been trying to make.

3 comments :

Richa said...

Awesome......You drew a lovely parallel....Well I always believe in it...We can dole out notes after notes when we visit temples but our hands tremble when we really have to reach a needy...This is not karma....we can sit for hours in front of the deity....and then spread hatred and spite in the name of religion and all kinds of blah blah... thats not true love.....thts not loving krishna...as I write this to you I can hear the Shankh from the nearby temple as its 12 am, time God is born.....

VD-NT's Blog said...

that's the nice one..good job!!

NS said...

Being a religious person, I simply loved this post. It is so ironical that out of our busy schedule, we always manage to take some time out to attend the phone calls, birthdays, parties and what not but we cant spare two minutes to remember and thank God for giving us all that we have today.

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.