Tuesday, May 12, 2009

jerry-seinfeld"Men want the same thing from their women as they want from their underwear: a little bit of support, and a little bit of freedom."  

- Jerry Seinfeld

I heard this one from a Seinfeld episode and till date I have not come across a better answer for the question what men want from their women? Hats off to you Jerry, for this. 

Now to be honest I never could have figured that out myself. I wasn't even intrigued if I wanted anything. I mean most men would agree to that won't they? Give a man his beer, the remote control of his TV and maybe his share of space on the couch and not nag him for what he is wearing or how messy he looks and he goes along just fine.

I mean men don't really bother if their closet is messy or if there is water on the bathroom floor. Most of us won't even care where our towel is lying about after we come out of shower, as long as we can find it the next day before we hit the shower again. Breakfast, lunch, dinner a man has always been a hunter, the food is never a problem. We don't care much how many calories are there in a cheese burger. Some fries and a beer can suffice for any meal any time of the day.

Few days ago, I bumped into a colleague of mine who was wearing a similar pair of shoes that I was. A standard olive green pair from Woodland's. We were cordial earlier too but then I guess that day onwards once we acknowledged the existence of the same pair we have some how been friendlier. Tell me if that has ever happened to a woman. Most of the girls would just scream and freak out if they stepped into a party and saw someone else wearing the same outfit. With men, the bond just goes stronger.

ethel2A woman's list of wants is so much different. The other day I took the Metro from Connaught Place to Karol Bagh and couldn't help overhearing the conversation of a young collegiate telling another how she wanted her man to be straight out of a Mills & Boon's volume. Her recipe for her perfect man went something like this. The man had to be good looking (as if someone would actually say I can do with an ugly man around). He had to be mature, understanding, intelligent, humorous, sophisticated, fun-loving (don't know what that means as I am sure a guy's idea of fun is so much different than a woman's), sensitive (I guess she also wanted his man to be a little gay there) and should make enough money to buy her diamonds on her birthdays and anniversaries....Whew... I almost ran out of breath. And this was when she looked like Jughead's Ethel herself. 

Almost every woman likes to believe that she is smarter than all the men in her vicinity or probably all the men she would ever meet in her entire life. For women it can be a never ending competition. But then there is one thing that I have always failed to understand, that if women were so much smarter then how come they keep looking for so much advise. There are umpteen columns about how to protect your skin and how to take care of your hair and what to wear, what to eat, what is in and what is not? Then there are snippets and recipes which get passed on from one generation to another and are potent enough to incite riotous debates and arguments, if questioned. A woman's world is just abuzz with a lot of conversation, a lot of words and pieces of information and advise floating around. 

homerWith men, it is so much simpler, isn't it? We acknowledge we know stuff. We found our way into the world, sure we can find directions. We don't need to know if there is a special moisturizer to be used for our skin type. (Most of us wouldn't even know that there are multiple skin types).  A shave works on all skins, an after shave works all seasons. All men magazines have very little information. The point is we do know things, so our magazines can just have naked pictures in them. Right?? 

Anyway, I guess this one battle shall go on till the end of time without a clear answer ever. I shall maybe keep posting in my random thoughts as and when I get them.

For this time I shall close in with a two liner that I am suddenly reminded of...

laughing smileyDid you hear about the guy who finally figured out women?
He died laughing before he could tell anybody.

1 comments :

KAYARBEE said...

"Did you hear about the guy who finally figured out women? "
"He died laughing before he could tell anybody."

I guess that is the reason why a 'women' still remains a 'mystery'for we the living "guys"....& by the way I am sure we all immensely enjoy 'hitchcockian' thrillers...
Nice & delightingly refreshing..carry on...

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.