Wednesday, July 15, 2009

rain cloudThe rain Gods finally nodded in consent this afternoon bringing a much needed relief to the arid lands of the NCR. Gurgaon had its share of downpour and it was refreshing to see dark clouds pulling a drape over the scorching sun for a while. The rain drops washed the glass walls of my office and the dim magical light which followed the rain made the concrete and glass jungle view from my office window a beautiful sight to behold.

Sipping on my dark brew of espresso I thoroughly enjoyed the little shower while it lasted. Rain drops on the glass can be mesmerizing and it felt good to enjoy the little joys of life like that.

Taking a break from the work, I stood in the hallway for some time. There is a huge glass window in the hallway and I could see the street outside from there. 

I stood there all neat and dry, sipping on my beverage, holding a muffin looking at the life outside. As my gaze traveled from the glistening trees and the sluggish cars on the road, I could see a security guard from the neighboring building. This guard had pulled up a dirty raincoat from somewhere and was attempting to save himself from the water that was now pouring heavily. It appeared that he probably was still on duty of monitoring the vehicles coming out of the building.

From time to time he looked upwards towards the sky and mumbled something. It was evident that he was not pleased about rain in the middle of the day during his work hours. He stood there struggling with his cover trying to save his shoes and his cap at the same time.

For a brief moment my cup of coffee lost its flavor. Beyond the glass window where I stood, was a different interpretation, a different hue of life. A world which was different from mine and yet all around me. The rain which was a beautiful gift from heavens for me, was a tormenter of sorts to someone who was barely ten meters away.

I paused at the contrast and was thinking about the same when a friend called up. After exchanging pleasantries, the first thing he wanted to speak about was the rain. He enquired if it was raining at my end and then went on to add he was loving it. I asked him where he was and he replied that he was sitting with his team in his office cafeteria and was relishing a cup of tea with hot 'samosas'.

I asked him if we would want to step outside and stand in the rain for a while to ensure if the traffic movement was smooth on the road. Needless to say, he thought that I had gone crazy. I hung rain2up the phone and looked outside for a little longer. The pitter-patter of the rain was dying out.

The guard outside, still stood his ground. I thanked Lord for where I stood - behind my glass veil and went back to my desk to finish my work for the day.

4 comments :

Just a Blogger said...

Excellent. Do not have any other word to describe this.

Roopa said...

Even i wanted to say 'excellent'.. but i guess i need to look for another adjective...we do think about all such things happening around us, but then putting them into words is a difficult task...keep writing!!!

Unknown said...

hey!! loved it.....you should definitely seek more professional reader base.

NS said...

Everytime I read ur post, I say amazing, great, what can be better but you always prove me wrong..

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.