Friday, July 31, 2009

Maharani Gayatri Devi I am sure heaven got prettier this week as two of the nation’s most beautiful women left for their heavenly abode. Former actress Leela Naidu and Maharani Gayatri Devi breathed their last on July 28, 2009 and July 29, 2009 respectively. Incidentally both these ladies were included in the list of 'World's Ten Most Beautiful Women' by fashion magazine Vogue.Leela Naidu

I remember Maharani Gayatri Devi being described as the most beautiful and graceful woman ever by none other than my idol Mr. Amitabh Bachchan in one of his TV interviews couple of years ago. It was probably then that I went on to read about her and her various royal anecdotes. I checked back on Mr. Bachchan’s blog this morning and as I expected he had expressed his sorrow over the demise and had shared his memories about her.

Leela NaiduI best recall Leela Naidu from her rendition of the Goan matriarch in a movie called ‘Trikaal’. Now Trikaal stands as a special movie because of the number of times it was aired during the DD regime. It was probably one of the slowest movies that I watched as a kid. (No offense to the movie or the maker, consider it being said from the perspective of a 7 year old). Now this was a movie that I shouldn’t have been allowed to watch as a kid altogether but I guess during those days TV censorship was the last thing on minds of the parents. (Imagine this, my dad took me along to the night show of a movie called ‘Khooni Mahal’) However, of all things that I remembered from  Trikaal was this suave and charming old lady who years later, when I watched this movie again (and it was still on DD) I recognized as Leela Naidu. I still thought that she was probably what was best about Trikaal.

Though various people have expressed their condolences and grief about passing away of these timeless and eternal beauty queens, only a few of these comments were befitting tributes to these ladies who were embodiment of grace and dignity in their own right.

I would not want to make a note of any of the obituaries made except the comment from the veteran actor director Dev Anand, who mentioned that he met Gayatri Devi only once in her lifetime (when shooting for Guide, which was like ages ago) and that now he might make a film on her. I sincerely am at loss of words after having read that. No, I do not wish to question his genius at film making (Lashkar, Sau Crore, Awwal number, Censor, Pyar ka Tarana, Love at Times Square etc.) but then why this all of a sudden urge to make a film on her.

(Read Here, if you still don’t believe me.)

Maharani Gayatri Devi I have never even seen Maharani Gayatri Devi in real life let alone know her, but going by what I have read about her and what others remember her as, I am sure had Mr. Anand expressed his desire to make a movie on her when she was alive, she would have never agreed to see him again. Anyway, to each his own. To sum it all up, let us just say that these distinguished women of our times lived their lives to the fullest and it’s been great knowing them through their achievements. Pray, their souls rest in peace. Amen.

Click on the respective links in case you wish to read further - Maharani Gayatri DeviLeela Naidu.

0 comments :

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.