Saturday, September 21, 2013

I could hear the clock tick. Seconds wasted, dripping on the wet floor. I sat back and looked blankly at the static screen. Perhaps the channel I was watching stopped transmitting hours ago, maybe the cable got disconnected. I didn’t know for sure. I didn’t care either. The night repeated the same script without fail.

I don’t know what to make of it anymore. This life is a trap. Someone else sets the stage, the situations, the lights and the dialogues, we just act what is written and then get reprimanded for our performances – punished for taking a path that is pre-determined and already selected for us. There is no way one can escape. There is no breaking away from this matrix – no red or blue pills. Just plain black thick darkness. You open your eyes to be blinded by this sharp stinging light and everything else after that is what you follow blindly – all through your lives.

CreatureMy story began like many others – just another one in the herd – animals born to breed, be used and culled. Along the path, I broke off, followed a wild meandering stream which led me to the woods where I got lost forever. Life doesn’t forgive and forget. It haunts you when you close your eyes and chases you through the days. It is easier when you are either demented or flexible. Bad, I wasn’t either. My spine wouldn’t let me crack and succumb to lick up the puke I was served. I hunted and fed on tiny morsels and fished for whatever life existed in the swamps and kept swimming from the banks of one night to the other. But the days, they never changed. The sun showed up daily but its light did not reach the ground. The trees rose higher, battling for every ray they could get. Stunted creatures like myself adapted and developed scales to cover lesions and learnt to survive the moss and the damp beds that forest offered.

I however, did not allow myself to be eaten by other predators. I allied with the big bad wolf and mutated into something sinister, more devious and more hideous than all of them put together and thus closed all doors for my salvation. 

I am, but this beast who sold his soul to the devil, to die standing tall.
I am ‘The Creature’.

PS: I doodled this little sketch on my phone and when I looked hard at it, the idea for this post just came in. Random as they come…crazy as they can be….


2 comments :

Roopa said...

You are the creature who always creates something worth admiring!!!

Himanshu Tandon said...

@ Roopa - And looks like you are the only one who cares to read and share her feedback on whatever crap I write :)

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.