Saturday, October 31, 2015

I stumbled upon a song and it led me to you. I kept playing it all afternoon and thought of what I would have said to you, if only I could.

These are just the right days for this song. Gentle sunshine, blue skies and just the right amount of chill in the morning air, sublime breeze and sweet smell of green in the evening coupled with an ashy aftertaste of the dusk. For all I know, you belong to this weather, no matter if you agree or not.

I guess I am entitled to a little imagery when it comes to you, for as much as you are real, you are part of my imagination just the same. In my head, I can reach out to you and tell you all I want, when I want. There are no barriers, no time zones, no miles, no lives and no Gods posing a question.

I would have told you that the universe gives all living souls a special power – the power to pluck a moment from the course of the day and make it all yours. You can play it back when everything else ceases to matter. Freedom is a mental switch and perhaps so is the concept of time. An odd moment, a pulsating rhythm or a heart beat in an hour or a day will always be unique to you.  I hope you would claim it more often and put it in the little biscuit tin where you collect coins. This is the currency you will need when you won’t be able to spend anything else.

I know you will be tempted to ask which song I played. It doesn’t matter actually. At times a right note will either make you forget everything that you went through or make you remember everything that never ever took place. I read somewhere that you use paint to color the walls and music to color your soul. The verse is a quick sand. It hasn’t been a while that you visited me in this swamp. I have continued to live here all this while and perhaps will die here for all I know.

Maybe some day, at the cusp of another life, the wind will blow with the same gaiety through those big French windows and a bird will call out to you from a tree waving outside and you will know the lyrics I have been playing in my head and that will be the song that we will dance to.

That will be our song.

Bird


3 comments :

The Cloudcutter said...

This post is like a song you stumble upon and then continue to listen to in a loop because you just can't get enough of it. It's as gentle and sweet as the winter mornings you've described and as intense and sublime as the thread that runs through these thoughts.

I especially love this - "the power to pluck a moment from the course of the day and make it all yours."

You have a way of punctuating the air with thoughts and words that arrest the imagination. Thank you! Has anyone ever told you what a wonderful writer you are? :-)

Himanshu Tandon said...

Those are some very kind words CC.

I read the comment again and I felt the comments were better than the post itself. Thanks a ton.

How do we know said...

I would have told you that the universe gives all living souls a special power – the power to pluck a moment from the course of the day and make it all yours. You can play it back when everything else ceases to matter. Freedom is a mental switch and perhaps so is the concept of time.
This is the currency....

Lovely, lovely lines.

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.