Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Chala jaata hoon kheltaa mauje-e-hawadis se...... Agar aasaaniyaan ho toh zindagi dushvaar ho jaaye"

Hmmm.. so things have been difficult in recent times. (Refer the last post 'Out-Stumped' for details) Most of my searches and probes on the job front have not yielded the kind of results I was hoping for. The things which are in pipeline are just taking too long to culminate into something more definite. As an end result, abstractions are now more like a way of life than random flashes.

germsAnyway, so far I am hopeful that it is a changing phase and that there might be better things waiting at the next turn. But then, honestly speaking, being idle is a deadly virus. 

It can spread to you in little surreptitious ways and can seep into your being rendering you useless for most portions of your life. Its equally difficult to stay afloat and keep your chin up when you see others around you latching onto their life jackets and grabbing any plank coming their way. You then, just want to keep waving your arms and legs and swim hard in troubled waters but then the inertia of mundane life with nothing to do keeps fighting hard against your buoyant forces of will and determination to pull you down.

Ship-Cartoon-1There are a couple of observations that I have made over these last couple of weeks and I thought I would share the same with my readers. You never know when you find yourself sailing in the same boat in these times of recession. 

Bullet Procrastination & Choice of Alternate Career Paths: It is said that people don't waste time, they just spend it on things that they don't need to do. Procrastination is probably the fastest setting evil in these times. Think of the times when you were still in school and were forced to study during examination times. sleeping-at-deskYou would sit in your chair, books open and table lamp on and would often drift away with the thoughts of all the things you would do once the exams are over. It feels very much the same and you would find yourself talking to people about different things that you could do or are exploring. Thoughts about opening up a restaurant or a 'dhaba' some where or starting something on your own are bound to creep up. Of all the people who have lost their jobs with me, I have found them talking about similar things at one time or the other. 

Be very wary of all these thoughts and keep a check on the same. It is one thing to logically explore your horizons and seek alternate opportunities and a totally different world to panic and grab anything that comes your way.

BulletWe Will Get Back To You: Probably this is the most repeated line that you are bound to hear and specially if you are appearing for an interview after 3 - 4 years of being settled in your last lost position. 'We will get back to you' is such a cliche in the HR world that no matter what company or what position that you apply for and no matter how well your interview has been, you shall find this sentence repeated so many times that it begins to haunt you.

The other day my maid wanted to know if she could take the next day off and I replied 'I would get back to you'. I don't know what was I thinking actually since she just stood her ground with a gaping mouth looking at me.

The crux of the matter is that be prepared to listen to this phrase repeated to you umpteen times before somebody calls back and tells you about an offer in waiting.

SupermanBulletAvailable Vacancy, Hiring Superman: If you thought that you are likely to find a job the moment you step your foot outside the house, you are in for a big surprise my friend. Updating resumes on Naukri and Monster is no promise for a dream job coming your way.

In the last few weeks, I have come across interviewers who asked me some very surreal questions. I hail from IT and have been working as a Test Manager & Sr. Business Analyst for past 8 years. Maybe because the times are bad, I have had recruiters calling me up to ask me if I would be wiling to relocate to take up jobs that would require me to develop sales leads, do some business development in addition to be playing as a database and application servers administrator over and above my normal routine responsibilities of being a Test Manager (this is the best part) for half my current salary. The only thing I really wish to tell them at times is brother, wait for tide to turn again, I shall personally call you up then and give you a piece of my mind. Anyway, for now I just holler a big WTF!!! in my head and say nothing but a polite No.

BulletThe Bystanders: Now these are the people who have had  absolutely no clue to what you were doing all these years and who probably have gotten to know about your 'employment' status through some friends and family channel and now asking about how are you people 3coming along is one of their favorite pastimes. As the days go by and if you do not land up anywhere, the number and intensity of their calls would increase. You would be advised about things to do and not to do and be told about all other people that they had known through some distant relations who have had to go through the same experience.

If the stories are not tormenting enough probably the sympathetic tone that is reserved for all such events and cases would become excruciating enough for you to possibly avoid all such calls and messages.

Come on guys, think about it. I would probably need some leads and laughter to get me going with this phase. Motivational anecdotes and examples add little value, I guess. I appreciate all the goodwill and the support but don't you think it can be pressing and pressurizing all the same.

Anyway, it might just be a good idea to just lie low and equally important to not let people press you down with their 'good intentions'. However, be polite, you never know who might be able to turn the handle to a door you need.

BulletYour Support System: This might just be an unintentional after-math and a positive side-effect of the whole situation. In an attempt to pull all strings and turn all stones, you end up testing all your friends in difficult times.

It is during this time that you realize the strength of the support system that you have. People that you might have not met in ages could step up and lend a helping hand when you need it and those you have relied upon as your best friends over the years would suddenly go missing.

It is the right time to acknowledge and testify your friends with just acquaintances and take time to thank people who have mattered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, enough said for a single post already. I am sure it is about time when things should begin rolling. I am glad for now that I have active available time at hand right now to pursue my interests and socialize and of course to restructure and align my goals in life and career and take necessary action.

I shall just retire to my study now and look at a couple of documents that I think would be helpful for an upcoming interview.

Smiley 2Do leave your comments and make sure you leave your name so I know who else has been wasting their time on this blog. 

2 comments :

Roopa said...

hmm.. its not wasting time... its actually good to read whatever you pen down.. i guess you must make the best use of the free time and update your site now, it's been a long time .. write some good poetry ,stories... what say???

Roopa said...

Well..i'm the anonymous person.. just forgot to write the name there (in the previous post)

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.