Friday, June 29, 2012

During my early teen years, I spent a lot of evenings with someone who left an indelible mark on my being. This guy happened to be a medical prodigy and I watched him take on his life and document his experiences on a blue console every night. It was captivating and a certain part of me wished that I could be him - a little genius myself.

He lived and worked in a different country and it was perhaps my first cross cultural interaction, a familiarity that bred only admiration and made me the dreamer I consider myself today. Perhaps it was also my introduction to keeping journals. However, in my part of the world, a personal computer during those years was an alien concept. I used to memorize his little lessons and would try and make my own inferences out of those quotes.

I knew him for about four years before I lost contact. He kind of faded away but I could never totally forget him. He was a part and parcel of my awkward years, a resonance of my part success and a window to a different world away from my lackadaisical existence. His name - Doogie Howser.

Years later, when I am almost past my youth and perhaps have evolved to be a very different personality that I set out to be two decades ago, I met someone who resembled Doogie Howser a lot. The resemblance was uncanny and I could not just pass this guy for a stranger. So, I stopped, took my time and exchanged pleasantries and to his credit, this guy is perhaps the most ‘awesome’ guy you will ever meet.

He shared with me his ‘Bro-Code’ and that is not anything you can pass by easily. This guy dressed impeccably and had a “legen – wait for it – dary” way around women. I got so impressed with him that I kept meeting him again and again and he soon was my new best friend. I spent most evenings of my work week catching up with him and his gang at one of the Manhattan bars and having perhaps one of the better hours in the day. His name - Barney Stinson. Check this out here if you want to know more.

I guess ‘Doogie Howser MD’ and ‘How I met your mother’ are the kind of shows I can watch for a 100 re-runs now and perhaps that does make me a Neil Patrick Harris fan. I was looking up more information around the current show and noticed several links around the Bro-Code. Maybe I shall dwell more into that in a separate post. For now, I shall put in a good word for his work, congratulate him for being so ‘awesome’ and ask people who accidently read through what I post here to go check more around the series ‘How I met your mother’.

Doogie Howser

Barney Stinson

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PS: About the BRO CODE - THE BRO CODE is a living document, much like the Constitution. Except instead of outlining a government, or the Bill of Rights, or anything even resembling laws, the BRO CODE provides men with all the rules they need to know in order to become a bro and behave properly among other bros. Article one says ‘Bros before hoes…’ and I shall just leave it at that for you to explore on your own..

0 comments :

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.