Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Jagjit Singh – the Ghazal Maestro passed away on October 10, 2011 and it takes more than a day for the sad news to sink in. With his demise, dies one of the few things I had always wished for – to be able to attend one of his concerts and hear him sing live on stage.

I don’t even remember when and how I got hooked onto his music. All I remember and know is that during my early teen years, every word that he sang filled my heart with an emotion that was both sublime and fervent. It would take me to a different zone within myself and I would just sit and hum all that he sang through long summer afternoons and longing winter nights. His music gave vision to my daydreams and hope of a fulfilling love perhaps to million others like me.

I remember how I would save my pocket money during those days and spend it all in one go to buy his audio tapes and which I still treasure as one of my proud possessions. From his ‘Live in Concert’ series right from his Albert Hall recordings to the soundtracks of the TV serials ‘Kahkashan’ and ‘Ghalib’ I played every song over and over till it seeped into me. Needless to say, much of my earlier writing bloomed from that music.

When the era of audio tapes was giving way to MP3s and CDs, I remember it was as early as year 2001 when I bought my first blank CD (an HP blank would then cost 150 Rupees a piece) and all I did was to copy all possible sound tracks from his albums that I could find. It was the first CD that I ever authored. I was still a trainee in my first job and I had to request at least 3 people just to get hold of a writer to burn that disk. His has been the only music that has found its way into every CD, every music player, Ipod, phone or a computer that I ever owned ever since.

As I sit remembering all what his music meant to me, the first song that comes to me is ‘Hothon Se Choo Lo Tum’ – an all time favorite and one that remains ever close to my heart. Over the years I collected and listened to various renditions that he lent to those lyrics and every time that I heard it, I interpreted and loved it differently. Incidentally, this was the only song I ever dedicated to anyone. I have never known a voice other than his to stir a Krishna Bhajan or a simple Ram Dhun as soulfully as he could.

It feels so hollow to realize that there won’t be any new verse to be heard in that velvet voice any more. But then legends like him never really die and I am sure he shall continue to live on in the hearts of his ardent followers and fans alike. Rest in peace dear Sir, you will be dearly missed.

Jagjit Singh

1 comments :

Vinita said...

I could fairly well relate to ur article..as my dream was also to attend his live concert once...but it seems some dreams are left unfulfilled, but his velvet voice will always b part of my life..i cannot get over with his ghazals. I still remember u gave me one MP3 of Jagjit singh's gazals. Thanks so much for the same bhai. ...Jagjit ji u will always stay in our hearts through out our lives....thanks for the beautiful article bhaiya. RIP Jajit ji :(

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.